Monday, March 6, 2023

Pansy gets a mate.

 Recently I decided I would try DCC in the 30 class for a second time. It was suggested to me that if I bought the decoder from Newcastle, I would get the sound file installed for free. The decoder arrived, no problems, and it was installed into the loco using the existing speaker left in there from the first installation. (Because it was glued in). The fitting was completed, but there were a few problems when we ran the loco. Firstly, there was very little sound, and no matter what, I couldn't convince the guys that it was much softer than the previous installation. Another speaker, made to match the decoder was purchased and installed. No difference, and with different size speakers tried and tested there was hardly any difference at all. It was insisted that the lack of sound was because the speaker is crammed into the bunker and the sound had no way out. Secondly, the loco ran in the opposite direction to the controller. Even altering the CV made no difference. The loco was posted back to Newcastle for investigation. When it arrived I got a phone call to say the loco had some damage and parts were in the bottom of the box, but the packaging was in tact and not damaged. With these things in my mind I thought that Pansy would be a write off, so I bought another 30 class. Feeling pretty upset over this whole matter, my wife and I drove down to Newcastle to pick up the loco, untouched as I asked. While we were there, it was suggested that the sound file could be reprogramed and the volume increased by 70%. This was agreed too, and paid for, hoping for the best. Final result, no different. I was assured that the reverse running was due to crossed wiring. Back home, I removed the bunker and laid the decoder and speaker on the layout along side the loco and there was no difference to when it was in the bunker. The wiring was spot on. The loco has been repaired and put back to DC. Now I have a pair I can double head. As for the decoder, my brain keeps telling me that's where the problem was, because some of the "F" functions had been altered. 

Decoder and speaker extracted for sound test

Pansy gets some assistance for the climb ahead.

It was insisted I need hearing aids, (for this install only) as none of my other locos give me this problem, even at seven meters away. This is my second attempt, no more, and if I need hearing aids, I had better check "Specsavers" I could save $K's.
Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. A tale of woe. Thank you for the warning and for the blog post. We all learn from others, even what not to do. So, now I'll just stick to non sound DCC for my own installs, and buy sound, only if factory fitted. Good that you are able to move on with DC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,
      Thanks for your comment, and you have read my thoughts on the matter very well. Sometimes when running with the sound on, it gets to me, and I just turn it off (F8). But it is there for the resale purpose should it arise. I was told that DCC runs smoother than DC, but my new 30 took 7 minutes to travel one length of track.
      My controller is fully pulse power. Yet to prove DCC will do better. Cheers.

      Delete